Forest School provides children with regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence through hands on learning in a woodland environment.
The key features of Forest School are:
- use of a woodland setting
- a high ratio of adults to pupils
- learning linked to EYFS objectives
- freedom to explore using multiple senses
- regular contact for the children with Forest School over a significant period of time.
(O’Brien, L. & Murray, R. 2007)
Forest School was introduced at The Ark Nursery School in 2008 and is now an integral part of the nursery provision. All children have the opportunity to attend a block of six weekly sessions over the course of a year. Most children have more access than this, but it is dependent upon the number of days that they attend each week.
All sessions are led by a trained Forest School Leader.
Click on an image for more information.