Partnership with parents
Statement of intent
The nursery recognizes that working in partnership with parents is of major value and importance to the nursery in enabling it to provide a happy, caring and stable environment for children and their parents as parents are the principal educators of their child.
We aim to form a good relationship with parents so that information regarding their children (be it developmental, social or health related) can be exchanged easily and comfortably by nursery staff and parents.
We aim to achieve a strong working partnership with parents in the following ways:
- The Manager or Deputy Manager and key workers are always available for discussion with parents at the beginning and end of the session. Arrangements can be made for more private discussions at agreed times.
- Information provided by parents about their children will be kept confidential and treated on a strict need to know basis.
- We inform all parents about how the setting is run and its policies through access to written information and through regular informal communication.
- We provide opportunities for parents to contribute their own skills, knowledge and interests to the activities of the setting. We welcome the contributions of parents, in whatever form these may take.
- Parents are invited to come in and help us in the nursery school in a voluntary capacity an on an occasional or regular basis. This may be in the classrooms with the children, or if there are separation difficulties for the child whose parent is volunteering, opportunities to help outside the classroom will be offered, as the child’s needs must always come first.
- Information regarding the children’s activities throughout the day is always available to parents on a daily basis either by verbal communication or on the whiteboard in the classroom. Photographs are displayed.
- Plans will be on show in the nursery for parents to view/read.
- Regular newsletters will be issued to keep parents up to date with information about the nursery, e.g. new developments or staff changes.
- If we have any concerns about a child’s well being during the day every effort will be made to contact the parents or their emergency contact.
- When possible, to further encourage the children’s development, parents will be asked to send in objects from home, e.g. photographs, old boxes and cartons etc, for topic work.
- Parents are requested to keep us informed of any changes to personal circumstances which may have an effect upon a child, e.g. change of address, telephone number, doctor, emergency contact.
- Parents are also requested to keep us informed of any circumstances which could have an effect on a child’s emotional well being, e.g. bereavement, separation or illness in the family.
- We inform all parents of the systems for registering queries, complaints or suggestions. All parents have access to our written complaints procedure.
- All parents are invited to join F.A.N.S. (Friends of the Ark Nursery School). This provides a forum where parents can meet informally with the Manager to discuss any concerns or ideas to benefit the nursery, and to organise fundraising and social events.